Tuesday, July 20, 2021

There's no place like home - except Grandma's

 Hey friends!

Well we've officially been back in Canada for a month now and it's been really great. Really really great. 

I'm not going out on a limb and saying that the knees are really great - the surgery knee is very slowly improving, whereas the "good" knee seems to be teetering between holding it's own and completely giving up on life...but, overall, things are much better. I can now move without crutches. I am "testing" them as per my surgeons orders and am biking, stand up padding, lifting weights, and I'm down to a minimal amount of painkillers - so I've learned to take what I can get when I can get it!

The best part about being home is reuniting with everyone. I'm always very excited to see friends and family every summer, but after missing last summer due to Covid, I feel like I'm really soaking up all the time with those whom I love and have missed so much over the past 2 years. Some things have changed drastically - all the babies have turned into walking, talking humans...and there are now 675 different kinds of alcoholic seltzers to choose from (Whoa!). Some things have not changed at all - my mom's "special" cat still hisses at the sight of me, and none of my friends have aged a bit! (Thank God!) Haha. 

My most meaningful reunions have been with my dear Grandma and Baba. Every summer that I get to spend with these ladies is a gift, and I am well aware of how lucky I am to have these incredible women in my life. When we were unable to return home last summer, one of my greatest fears was losing one of these very special ladies, without one last visit. 

Grandma Ivy and Grandpa Ken's Wedding Day June 17, 1949 

A very young (and beautiful) Baba Jean 

My Grandma Ivy is 90 years old and still resides in the same house that I ate grilled cheese in every day for lunch as a kid. Although Grandma's vision has significantly deteriorated and it can be challenging for her to move easily around her house, Grandma rarely complains. When you enter her house you would think that the Queen herself had made an entrance. Grandma fusses over you, tells you how wonderful you look, thanks you profusely for coming to visit and then scours the cupboards for treats and tea. You leave Grandma's house feeling warm, loved, and like a million bucks. I hope that I've inherited Grandma's positive, cheery outlook on life. I suspect that day-to-day life isn't easy for Grandma, and I know that she misses my Grandpa and the friends and family that she's lost over the years, but she really does exude positivity despite the challenges she faces. When I'm a having a rough day, and feeling negative about my situation, I try to channel Grandma's "be happy with what you've got" attitude. It's always a joy to be around my Grandma.


My Baba Jean is a 93 year old strong Ukrainian woman who has faced some dire medical conditions over the years. She survived a brain tumour, lung cancer, and pneumonia in both lungs. My Baba is a very strong-willed and determined woman! Aside: I was with Baba when the Doctor delivered the diagnosis of a brain tumour about 10 years ago. Baba's response, "Well, so be it." 

This Spring we didn't think that she would pull through as her kidneys had shut down, and she was hospitalized and deemed "end of life" care. The family was called in to say goodbye. I couldn't be there. I sent videos and messages, but Baba was struggling to remain conscious and I felt terrible that I wasn't able to hold her hand and be by her side. It was a Saturday night, and I had said my final goodbyes to Baba over Facetime. A Priest gave Baba her last rites. When I got off the phone, I cried all night, attempting to process what exactly life would look like without my Baba. I expected Baba to pass in the night, and I tried to comfort myself by picturing her reunion with Gido. 

The next morning, I was told that Baba had regained consciousness in the night and was able to see my Uncle Mark, who had flown in from Vancouver. The following day I was told that despite being taken off of dialysis, her kidneys had begun to work on their own! The next day, I heard that Baba was joking with family members. Apparently, she called my cousin a "cry baby" for sobbing at her bedside. At one point, she told family that she was "ready to go," and when my Aunt encouraged her to go see Gido in heaven if she was ready, Baba replied, "No! I'm ready to go back to Preston Park" (her condo complex!) Doctors remained skeptical, theorizing that it was a final surge of energy before she passed, but my Baba proved them all wrong. She defied every odd and continued to improve, gain strength, and eventually was discharged back to her condo.

I cannot put into words exactly how it feels to say your final goodbye to someone who is so dear to you, and then have the opportunity to feel her arms around you, strong and alive. What a precious gift! 

Baba and I don't mince words, so I straight out asked her, "Why do you think you didn't die?" She didn't really know the answer to that. She said, "Gido was pulling me up and my family was pulling me down. I guess I wasn't ready." I replied, "Well you came as close as one can come to death, is there anything that you really want to do before it is your time?" Baba responded, "I want to spend time with my family, take it day-by-day, and I'd like to get the Denver omelette at Smitty's!" 

Get this woman an omelette!  

It was interesting to discuss my Baba's near death experience with her. She didn't see the light. She wasn't aware that she was dying. She was cognizant of the fact that her family was at her bedside, but she didn't understand why. She felt no pain. She experienced no fear. She had no idea how close she actually was to death. And, you know, in typical Baba fashion, she's back cursing Victor on the Young and The Restless, entertaining her fellow residents with her hilarious tales, and planning a trip to the farm to revisit her new kitchen (We suggested a party at the farm and with a twinkle in her eye, Baba replied, "A resurrection party!" haha). 



Things haven't been particularly easy for me over the last 10 years and I hope (and suspect) that I've inherited Grandma's and Baba's resilience gene. These incredible ladies inspire me to roll with the punches with grace and gratitude.  Resilience is not only about bouncing back from challenges, but also about accepting your new reality (even when it's not preferable), and making the most of it. I'm learning from the best!

Cheers to Grandma Ivy and Baba Jean. I love you ladies so much and I am so so grateful for you. I am so very proud to be your granddaughter. 

Cheers to strong women!




No comments:

Post a Comment