Friday, July 31, 2020

Just hanging with my famous friends - No big Deal

Hey everyone - what's up?

We are still stranded on a tropical island, but very safely stranded at this time. We haven't had any new cases of Covid in 17 days and there are currently no active cases, so it's not really a "thing" here at the moment. We are still mandated to wear masks in all indoor locations, as well as at outdoor bars/restaurants until we are seated, but overall, it's kinda nice being free to do whatever we want while having the island, essentially, to ourselves. There is a plan to open the border in phases, with phase 1 beginning September 1.  However, our government is really making travellers work for it. If you wish to come to Cayman, you must test negative for Covid and submit your results to the government within 72 hours of your flight. Once you arrive, you will be equipped with a "bio-button" for your entire stay, which is a tracking device that monitors your heart rate, temperature, etc to detect any early signs of the virus. You must also self-isolate for 5 days and then generate another negative Covid test before you are free to explore the island. I mean, let's be honest, only those who have property or family in Cayman - people who truly have a desire to be here - will come in phase 1. But I appreciate that the Government is diligently creating plans that will ensure our safety, so I'm all for it. This also means that we are not leaving anytime soon. 

I am thankful that I am safe and able to move freely in such a beautiful place. That being said, I am so homesick that it hurts. I was thinking about how our 10 months in Cayman, 2 months in Canada plan is so ideal for a couple like me and Ev. Evan is an introvert. I am an extrovert (I bet you are mind-blown with this new information 😂). Our life in Cayman really suits Evan's introvert personality. Although we have incredible friends and an active social life in Cayman, we do spend a lot of time at our home - just the two of us. Our home is quiet, serene, and tranquil. We seek out social events when we crave time with our buds and because we are all spread out across the island, we are more likely to meet friends at the beach, bars, restaurants, etc. In Candle Lake, on the other hand, our lifestyle is conducive to my extrovert personality. Our cabin is a "hub" of activity and we are constantly welcoming visitors on foot, bike, and boat. Our weekends are spent mixing cocktails on our deck, boating, and visiting with friends and family in our hot tub. Although Ev and I rarely have time to ourselves, we are always surrounded by laughter, popping corks, and music. I know that by the end of our 8 weeks in Canada, Evan is typically craving serenity; whereas, by the end of June I am anticipating the buzz of Candle Lake life. 

Obviously this year I lost my 2 months of extrovert heaven. I'm missing my buzz. 

I have been diligently booking lunches, pool dates, beach excursions, and happy hours with my awesome island buds, but I am still finding the days long, lonely, and quiet. 

As I mentioned in a previous blog, I am a huge Candace Cameron Bure (AKA "DJ") from "Full House" fan. I follow her on Instagram and enjoy her style, as well as her workout regime. She hired a personal trainer by the name of Kira Stokes, who happens to have an app. After doing Instagram live workouts with Candace on a few occasions, I decided to invest in the app so that I could work out with Kira on a daily basis. In addition to Candace Cameron Bure, Kira also trains other celebrities, such as Ashley Graham and gymnast Nastia Liukin. Often the workouts are broadcasted live on Instagram and I can actually work out with my famous "friends."

One day Ev and I went for a dip in the pool (which is presently hovering around the 95 degree mark) and Ev asked me what my plans for the week were. I enthusiastically responded, "Oh well on Monday I'm doing arms and abs with Candace. Nastia says that we will do shoulders on Wed. You should have seen it was sooo funny Ashley dropped her weights yesterday while she was bridging...." I stopped abruptly as I saw the look on Evan's face. Evan's facial expression, which began as "interested," quickly morphed into "concerned" and then into "pity." Yikes. 

"Hey guys! Wanna grab a cocktail after our workout?"


At that moment it occurred to me that making an effort to see "real" people on a regular basis needed to be a top priority in my life. 😂

On another note, it was nine years ago today that we lost our bud Ryan Holowaty. I really don't like to remember that tragic day on the river; on the other hand, I feel like it's important to acknowledge July 31. In 10 days time, it will be exactly one year since we lost our Monty. During these quiet, thoughtful summer days, I find myself reflecting on such huge losses, but also wondering if Monty and Ryan found each other. I imagine them randomly meeting up at a beach bar, sharing a beer, and coming to the realization that they both know me and Ev. I can hear Holowaty's excited squeal and can picture the expression on Monty's face - the one he made when he was thoroughly entertained by another human. This image brings a smile to my face during a time when I'm not smiling so much. 




Well...that's all I have to report from here. I just got off Facetime with my Baba. It was so nice to see her face and hear her voice. I miss her so much. She told me that she checks my blog everyday so I knew that I had to post today for my dear Baba. I Miss you, Baba, but it is so nice to see you looking so well and so happy at your home on the farm.  💓

Take care everyone. If you are somewhere where hugging is allowed, go hug someone special today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment